Linguine with Tomato Cream Sauce
Make this restaurant-style tomato cream sauce and whole grain linguine in the comfort of your very own home in just 30 minutes!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 2 servings uncooked whole grain linguine (about 4 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon salt (for the water that the pasta is cooked in)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot peeled and chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic peeled and chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes or to taste (for the sauce)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste (for the sauce)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese (for the sauce)
- 9 ounces half and half
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil (for the topping)
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese (for the topping)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes (optional, for garnish)
Heat a large skillet on low to medium heat and add the butter, olive oil, shallots and garlic. Stir as the mixture cooks for 2 minutes.
To the pan, add tomato sauce, salt, dried red pepper flakes, pepper, Parmesan cheese, and half and half. Stir.
Turn the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
While the sauce is simmering, cook the linguine; in a medium-size pot, add water, salt and bring it to a boil.
To the boiling water, add the pasta. Stir gently and let cook uncovered until the noodles are al-dente (about 4 to 5 minutes or according to package instructions).
Drain the noodles (don't rinse) and add them to the sauce pot. Gently stir until the noodles are coated with the sauce.
Top with fresh basil, Parmesan cheese, and dried red pepper flakes (optional). Serve while warm.