Spicy Chicken and Black Bean Bowl
A hearty and delicious, quick and easy meal for any day of the week.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
For the Chicken:
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite size pieces
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Black Beans:
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans
- 1/4 cup diced jalapeno peppers seeds removed
- 3 dashes onion powder
- 2 dashes ground cumin
For the Toppings:
- 1/2 cup crumbled Cacique Panela cheese (Hispanic cheese)
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped red onions
- 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion (just the green tops); or chopped jalepeno optional for garnish
For the Chicken:
Heat a skillet on medium heat and add olive oil.
To the pan, add the chicken, pepper, onion powder, granulated garlic, red pepper flakes, cumin, and salt. Stir the spices in with the pieces of chicken.
Continue to stir the chicken as it cooks. It should start to brown fairly quickly.
Let cook until the chicken is completely cooked through (about 8 to 10 minutes).
For the Black Beans (make while the chicken is cooking):
To a small saucepan, add black beans, chopped jalapeno, onion powder, and cumin. Stir as the beans warm (about 7 minutes).
For Serving and the Toppings:
To serving plates or shallow bowls, add the warm beans and top with half of the crumbled cheese (reserve the rest of the cheese for another layer of topping).
Top with cooked chicken. Squeeze lime juice over the chicken (1/2 of a lime per serving).
Top with the remaining crumbled cheese.
Then add chopped tomatoes and chopped red onions.
For garnish, as an option; something green such as chopped jalapeno or the green tops of a green onion (chopped).