Christmas Tree Relish Tray
Almost too cute to eat. Almost.
Prep Time 35 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
- 1 bunch of celery cut into sticks (various sizes are fine)
- 4 peeled baby carrots each carrot cut into 4 stick shapes (lengthwise quarters)
- 1/4 of a green bell pepper cut in 12 very thin pieces that are about 3 inches long
- 3 thick slices of cucumber with the skin on (regular or Hothouse (English) cucumber); each slice cut into quarters in the shape of a triangle
- 8 red teardrop or cherry tomatoes cut in half widthwise
- 6 whole yellow cherry tomatoes
- 5 black olives cut in half lengthwise
- 3 large green olives with pimentos cut into 1/2 inch thick widthwise slices
- 1 radish medium to large size
- 2 crimini mushrooms cut into quarters in the direction from the top of the mushroom to the stem
For the Radish Rosette Tree Top Decoration - Out of a large size radish, make a rosette and add it to a small bowl of ice water so it will open up. Set aside. Please refer to this post for directions on how to make the rosette "Pumpkin Head Relish Tray".
For the Tree - On a large flat plate or platter, lay out about 8 celery sticks in the shape of the tree top. Make sure to leave enough room for "ornament" that goes on the top of the tree.
Continue to lay the celery sticks on the plate to form the entire tree.
Then fill in the tree with celery sticks. Lay out the celery so some have the light colored sides up and others have the dark sides up.
For the Carrot Garland - Lay out the carrots starting about 2 inches from the bottom of the tree in a zigzag direction. The bottom string of carrot garland should take about 6 pieces of the cut carrots.
Next, about two inches above the first string of carrot garland, lay out about 4 pieces of carrots in a zigzag shape to form the second string of garland.
Then about two inches above the second string of carrot garland, repeat to make the third string of garland up towards the top of the tree.
For the Green Bell Pepper Garland - Lay out 4 rows of the thin pieces of bell pepper in between each strand of carrot garland to make the bell pepper garland.
For the Tree Decor - Add the cut red tomatoes cut side-down to the tree to make ornaments (if you have enough tomatoes, an option is to use the non-stem half only which looks prettier as an ornament).
Lay the whole yellow cherry tomatoes on the tree as ornaments. Cut the mushrooms in quarters. Then add 6 of the cut pieces to the bottom of the tree to form the trunk.
Lay out the triangular pieces of cucumber on the tree as ornaments.
To the tree, lay the green and black olives (rounded smooth side up) on the tree as ornaments.
Lastly, to the top of the tree, add the radish rosette.
Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.