Carrot Cake Banana Bread Baked Doughnuts
For a real twist on bagels and cream cheese for breakfast, try these delectable baked doughnuts with smooth and creamy cream cheese frosting.
Sometimes recipes can come about when you don’t want something to go to waste and need to use up an ingredient or a certain type of food before it goes bad, like overripe bananas for example.
Other times it could be because a certain type of food is on sale and it’s just too good of a deal to pass up so you end up with a lot of it.
Or, it may just be that you’re craving or like something and want to make it.
It was a combination of loving cream cheese frosting especially with carrot cake, and needing to use up overripe bananas that led me to make these delicious doughnuts.
These delicious doughnuts are a great way to start the day and at the same time get veggies in for breakfast.
Let’s check out the ingredients for these super tasty doughnuts and cream cheese frosting.
For the Doughnuts – very ripe bananas, shredded carrot, butter, sugar, egg, flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and ground cinnamon
Also needed, a doughnut baking pan and flour sifter
For the Frosting – cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar and vanilla extract
A printable recipe with the measurements and instructions is located at the bottom of this post.
Here’s how to make it.
For the Doughnuts:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Add the flour in a sifter and…
In a medium size bowl, add the flour…
…baking powder, baking soda, salt, and…
Mix the dry ingredients together and…
In a large mixing bowl, add butter,
Beat the butter and sugar together.
and beat until light and fluffy.
Turn the mixer speed to low and using a spoon, add the dry ingredients a little at a time.
Mix together until all of the flour is incorporated with the sugar and butter mixture.
Set aside for a moment.
In a small bowl…
…mash the bananas with a fork.
Add the bananas and shredded carrots to the batter.
With a large sturdy spoon,
mix the bananas and carrots in the batter.
Using a clean piece of paper towel or pastry brush, grease the doughnut baking pan (each doughnut cut-out) with softened butter.
Using a small dinner-size spoon,
fill each doughnut cut-out evenly with batter.
Bake in a preheated oven until a wooden toothpick inserted in the doughnuts comes out dry (about 17 minutes).
Remove the doughnuts from the oven and let cool until they’re cool enough to handle.
Then, remove the doughnuts from the pan on to a cooling rack to cool further.
If needed, to remove the doughnuts from the pan, carefully run a table knife (with a rounded edge) in between the doughnut and the pan to loosen the doughnut enough to lift each one out of the pan.
For the Frosting (make after the doughnuts have cooled):
In a medium size bowl…
…add softened butter, cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla.
Beat together until light and creamy.
Use an offset spatula (long, narrow and flat spatula for spreading frosting) or table knife to spread the frosting.
Garnish each doughnut with a small piece of carrot cut into the shape of a whole carrot, and a small piece of curly parsley as the green “top” of the whole carrot.
…each and every…
Thank you so much for stopping by!
More Baked Doughnut Recipes You May Like:
Baked Brown Butter and Pistachio Doughnuts by Joy the Baker
Baked Chocolate Fudge Doughnuts by How Sweet It Is
Baked Coconut Doughnuts by Taste and Tell
Baked Doughnuts with Cinnamon-Sugar by Brown Eyed Baker
Don’t miss a CCC recipe. Subscribe to Coupon Clipping Cook and get an email each time we have a new post. Here’s the link to subscribe to CCC.
For the Doughnuts:
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/3 cups mashed ripe bananas about 4 bananas
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened (for greasing the pan)
- 15 small pieces of carrot each cut to look like a whole carrot (for garnish)
- 15 small pieces of curly parsley for garnish
For the Frosting:
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 package (12 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
For the Doughnuts:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium size bowl, add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Mix together and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the butter and sugar. Beat together. Add the eggs and beat until light and fluffy.
- Turn the mixer speed to low and using a spoon, add the dry ingredients little by little. Mix until the flour is incorporated.
- To the bowl, add mashed bananas and shredded carrots. Use a large sturdy spoon to mix the bananas and carrots in the batter.
- Grease the doughnut baking pan with butter. Add the batter evenly to the pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven until a wooden toothpick inserted in the doughnuts comes out clean (about 17 minutes).
- Remove the doughnuts from the oven and let cool just long enough so that the doughnuts can be removed by hand and transferred to a cooling rack.
- When the doughnuts have cooled, top with cream cheese frosting. Garnish with a small piece of carrot (shaped like a whole carrot) and a small piece of curly parsley as the green “top” of the whole carrot.
For the Cream Cheese Frosting (make after the doughnuts have cooled just before frosting them):
- In a medium size bowl, add all ingredients and beat until light and fluffy.