Sour Cream Coffee Cake Muffins
You’ll love these easy-to-make sour cream coffee cake muffins so much that it will be hard to stop at just one.
You know what’s really great about keeping basic pantry items on hand?
Being able to make these scrumptious muffins.
The only thing needed that’s not a regular pantry item is the sour cream.
No need to get the fancy schmancy brand of sour cream for this recipe either.
Feel free to get the generic brand if the price is better but for sure get the regular type rather than the fat free version.
These muffins are wonderful for breakfast or anytime of the day.
The top of the muffins have a slight crispiness to them from the cinnamon and sugar that tastes wonderful.
And there’s a layer of cinnamon and sugar on the inside too.
So let’s check out the ingredients.
Sour cream, eggs, double acting baking powder, baking soda, vanilla extract, butter, flour, sugar, and cinnamon
A printable recipe with the measurements and instructions is located at the bottom of this post.
Here’s how to make it.
Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Generously grease the bottom and all sides of a muffin pan with butter.
Add the butter,
and sugar to a large mixing bowl.
Beat until light and fluffy.
Next add the flour,
the baking soda and baking powder,
and vanilla extract.
Beat on a low speed until blended.
Then beat another 3 minutes more.
Add the batter to the muffin tin only filling the space about halfway for each muffin.
Then mix the cinnamon and sugar for the topping.
Top the batter generously with the cinnamon and sugar mixture.
Next, add another layer of batter for each muffin.
Lastly, top the batter with a generous portion of the cinnamon and sugar mixture.
Bake about 27 minutes or when the inside of each muffin is slightly moist.
These muffins are best when baked just enough so that the middle of the muffin is as moist as possible otherwise they tend to dry out.
Let the muffins cool.
Serve with butter or as is…
…then enjoy each and every bite.
Thank you so much for stopping by CCC!
More Breakfast Recipes You May Also Like:
Don’t miss a CCC recipe. Subscribe to Coupon Clipping Cook and get an email each time we have a new post. Here’s the link to subscribe to CCC.
Sour Cream Coffee Cake Muffins
- ¾ cup softened butter (1-½ sticks)
- 1-¼ cup sugar for the cake
- 3 eggs
- 1-½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1-½ teaspoons double acting baking powder
- 1-½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 1-½ cups sour cream (regular, not the fat free type)
- 2 tablespoons butter to grease the muffin tin
- 1-½ teaspoons ground cinnamon for the topping
- ¾ cup sugar for the topping
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Generously grease the bottom and all sides of the muffin pan with butter.
- In a large mixing bowl, add butter and sugar. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Next add flour, sour cream, eggs, baking soda, baking powder, and vanilla extract. Beat on a low speed until blended. Then beat for another 3 minutes.
- Add the batter to the muffin pan only filling the space halfway for each muffin. Set aside for a moment.
- In a separate small bowl, mix the cinnamon and sugar. Then generously top the batter with half of the cinnamon and sugar mixture.
- Next, add another layer of batter for each muffin.
- Lastly, top the batter with the remaining cinnamon and sugar mixture. Bake until the inside of each muffin is still slightly moist (about 27 minutes; use a toothpick to test the middle of the muffin, if the toothpick comes out with a small amount of moist cake on it then remove it from the oven to cool). These muffins are best when baked so that the middle of the muffin is as moist as possible otherwise they tend to dry out.
- Let the muffins cool; when the muffins are cool enough to handle, carefully remove them from the muffin pan.
- Serve with plain or with softened butter.
This recipe was originally posted on 3/16/2013.