Cheesy Red Potato Mash
This quick and easy red potato mash is made with cheddar cheese, sour cream, green onions and more.
This red potato mash is made with the same delicious toppings that are on a baked potato.
And when each ingredient is good on its own, you know it’s going to be really good when it’s mixed together.
Included in this red potato mash is sour cream, cheddar cheese and green onion.
There’s also a subtle taste of garlic from just a bit of granulated garlic that’s added for good measure.
The potatoes in this recipe have the skin left on which not only gives the dish more texture but also adds nice color to the entire dish.
Let’s check out the ingredients.
Red potatoes, butter, sour cream, granulated garlic, salt, pepper, sharp cheddar cheese, and green onions
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
A printable recipe with the measurements and instructions is located at the bottom of this post.
Shred the cheese and set aside.
Chop the green onions and set aside.
Cut the potatoes in quarters (leave the skin on)…
…and add to boiling water.
Add salt to the water.
Boil until fork tender (about 15 minutes depending on the size of the potatoes) and drain out the water.
Add the butter to the bottom of the pan and pile a few of the potatoes on top of it so it melts.
Then add granulated garlic,
and sour cream.
using a potato masher…
…mash the potato mixture leaving some of the potatoes in small pieces.
Add the potato mash to a microwave safe serving dish and just before serving,
top with shredded cheddar cheese…
…and warm it up in the microwave just long enough to melt the cheese.
Alternatively, add the potato mash to an oven safe serving dish and just before serving,
top with the shredded cheese and warm it up in the oven.
Top with chopped green onions.
Thank you so much for stopping by CCC!
Don’t miss a CCC recipe. Subscribe to Coupon Clipping Cook and get an email each time we have a new post. Here’s the link to subscribe to CCC.
Cheesy Red Potato Mash
- 4 medium size red potatoes skin-on, cut in quarters
- 1/2 teaspoon salt for the boiling water
- 1-1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or salt to taste, (for the potato mash)
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions chopped (including the green part)
- Boiling the Potatoes - To a pot of boiling water, add salt and the quartered potatoes.
- Boil until fork tender (about 15 minutes depending on the size of the potatoes).
- Carefully transfer the potatoes on to a plate, and drain the water out of the pan.
- For the Potato Mash - Add the potatoes back into the warm pan. To the bottom of the pan, add butter and pile some of the potatoes on top of it so it melts.
- To the pan add granulated garlic, salt, pepper and sour cream. Using a potato masher, mash the potato mixture leaving some of the potatoes in small pieces.
- Serving the Potato Mash - Transfer the potato mash to a microwave safe serving dish and top with shredded cheese.
- *In a microwave, warm up just long enough to melt the cheese on top. Then top with the chopped green onions.
- *Alternatively, the potato mash can be transferred to an oven safe serving dish and just before serving, top with shredded cheese and warm it up in the oven. Then top with chopped green onions.
- Serve warm.
Comfort Food Recipes
Comfort Food Recipes you may like:
Potato Recipes with Cheese
Here are more cheesy potato dishes…”Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes with Sage and Ham“, “Slow Cooker Cheesy Potato Soup with Smoked Sausage” and “Smoked Gouda and Garlic Mashed Potatoes“.
Recipes with Potatoes
More Recipes with Potatoes: