Tomato Jalapeno Zucchini with Brown Rice
A meatless main dish or side dish on the table in less than 30 minutes.
This flavorful medley of vegetables can be served in less than 30 minutes as a main dish over rice or pasta, or as a side dish.
The vegetables in this recipe are zucchini, onion, jalapeno and cut tomatoes…all simmered in tomato sauce with a few spices, garlic and herbs.
Then topped with grated Parmesan cheese and served over rice or pasta.
I especially like this served with brown rice because it adds heartiness to the dish.
The sauce is seasoned with oregano, bay leaves, ground cumin with a dash of Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
And cumin adds such a nice flavor to the mix.
The seasoned tomato sauce is simmered with the vegetables until the consistency is a bit more on the thick side.
If a thinner sauce is preferred, more water can be added to the desired consistency.
When served with rice or pasta it’s a meatless meal in itself.
Here are more recipes served over rice you may like “Easy Barbecue Chicken with Rice“, “Marsala Salmon with Mushrooms and Rice“, and “Grilled Shrimp with Browned Butter, Rice and Mushrooms“.
Let’s check out the ingredients.
Zucchini, jalapeno peppers, onion, garlic, olive oil, tomato sauce, cut tomatoes, Worchestershire sauce, dried oregano, ground cumin, bay leaves, salt, pepper, and grated Parmesan cheese.
Served over warm cooked rice or pasta.
A printable recipe with the measurements and instructions is located at the bottom of this post.
Here’s how to make it.
Cut an onion in half and then slice it.
Slice the jalapenos widthwise into ring shapes.
For less heat, remove the seeds.
Cut the garlic into thin slices.
Cut the zucchini into bite size pieces.
Set the vegetables aside for a moment.
Heat a large skillet on medium heat and…
…add olive oil.
To the pan, add onions and stir.
Add the jalapenos, garlic and…
Continue to stir as the vegetables and garlic cook (for 5 minutes).
If the garlic or onions start to brown, turn the heat down just a bit.
To the pan, add cut tomatoes…
…oregano, pepper, cumin, salt, and bay leaves.
Stir together and add Worcestershire sauce.
Stir together, cover the skillet, and turn the heat down to low.
Simmer until the zucchini is cooked but still firm (about 10 minutes).
If a thinner sauce is preferred, stir in a little water.
Remove the bay leaves before serving.
Serve the vegetable mixture warm over warm brown rice or pasta…
…and top with grated Parmesan cheese and enjoy.
Thank you so much for stopping by CCC!
More Vegetable Recipes You May Like:
Don’t miss a CCC recipe. Subscribe to Coupon Clipping Cook and get an email each time we have a new post. Here’s the link to subscribe to CCC.
- 3 small to medium size zucchini (Italian squash) cut into bite size pieces
- 1 medium size onion (white or yellow) peeled and cut in half then sliced
- 2 jalapeno peppers stems and seed removed, sliced widthwise
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and cut into thin slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) cut tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 dashes ground cumin
- 4 dashes salt or salt to taste
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 servings cooked brown rice or your favorite rice or pasta
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat a large skillet on medium heat and add olive oil.
- To the pan, add onions, jalapenos, garlic, and zucchini. Stir.
- Continue to stir as the vegetables garlic cook (for 5 minutes). If the garlic or onions start to brown, turn the heat down just a bit.
- To the pan, add cut tomatoes, tomato sauce, oregano, pepper, cumin, salt, and bay leaves. Stir together.
- To the pan add Worcestershire sauce and stir. Cover the skillet, and turn the heat down to low.
- Simmer until the zucchini is cooked but still firm (about 10 minutes). If a thinner sauce is preferred, stir in a little bit of water. Remove the bay leaves before serving.
- Serve the vegetable mixture warm over warm brown rice or pasta and top with grated Parmesan cheese.