Zucchini with Tomato and Brown Rice
A meatless main dish or side dish on the table in less than 30 minutes.
This meatless dish is made with a medley of vegetables that is simmered in a seasoned tomato sauce.
It’s delicious served over rice or pasta and can be enjoyed as a light main dish, or a side dish.
About this Recipe
The vegetables in this recipe include zucchini, onion, jalapeno and cut tomatoes.
And the seasonings in the sauce include oregano, bay leaves and cumin.
Cumin gives both the vegetables and the sauce such a wonderful flavor.
I especially like this served over brown rice because it adds heartiness to the dish.
When served with rice or pasta it’s a meatless meal in itself.
Let’s check out the ingredients.
Zucchini, jalapeno peppers, onion, garlic, olive oil, tomato sauce, cut tomatoes, Worchestershire sauce, dried oregano, ground cumin, bay leaves, salt, pepper, and grated Parmesan cheese.
Served over warm cooked rice or pasta.
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
A printable recipe with the measurements and instructions is located at the bottom of this post.
Cut an onion in half and then slice it.
Slice the jalapenos widthwise into ring shapes.
For less heat, remove the seeds.
Cut the garlic into thin slices.
Cut the zucchini into bite size pieces.
Set the vegetables aside for a moment.
Heat a large skillet on medium heat and…
…add olive oil.
To the pan, add onions and stir.
Add the jalapenos, garlic and…
Continue to stir as the vegetables and garlic cook (for 5 minutes).
If the garlic or onions start to brown, turn the heat down just a bit.
To the pan, add cut tomatoes…
…oregano, pepper, cumin, salt, and bay leaves.
Stir together and add Worcestershire sauce.
Stir together, cover the skillet, and turn the heat down to low.
Simmer until the zucchini is cooked but still firm (about 10 minutes).
If a thinner sauce is preferred, stir in a little water.
Remove the bay leaves before serving.
Serve the vegetable mixture warm over warm brown rice or pasta…
…and top with grated Parmesan cheese.
Thank you so much for stopping by CCC!
Don’t miss a CCC recipe. Subscribe to Coupon Clipping Cook and get an email each time we have a new post. Here’s the link to subscribe to CCC.
Tomato and Jalapeno Zucchini with Brown Rice
- 3 small to medium size zucchini (Italian squash) cut into bite size pieces
- 1 medium size onion (white or yellow) peeled and cut in half then sliced
- 2 jalapeno peppers stems and seed removed, sliced widthwise
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and cut into thin slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) cut tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 dashes ground cumin
- 4 dashes salt or salt to taste
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 servings cooked brown rice or your favorite rice or pasta
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat a large skillet on medium heat and add olive oil.
- To the pan, add onions, jalapenos, garlic, and zucchini. Stir.
- Continue to stir as the vegetables garlic cook (for 5 minutes). If the garlic or onions start to brown, turn the heat down just a bit.
- To the pan, add cut tomatoes, tomato sauce, oregano, pepper, cumin, salt, and bay leaves. Stir together.
- To the pan add Worcestershire sauce and stir. Cover the skillet, and turn the heat down to low.
- Simmer until the zucchini is cooked but still firm (about 10 minutes). If a thinner sauce is preferred, stir in a little bit of water. Remove the bay leaves before serving.
- Serve the vegetable mixture warm over warm brown rice or pasta and top with grated Parmesan cheese.
Recipes That Are Served Over Rice
Here are more recipes served over rice you may like “Easy Barbecue Chicken with Rice“, “Marsala Salmon with Mushrooms and Rice“, and “Grilled Shrimp with Browned Butter, Rice and Mushrooms“.
More Vegetable Recipes You May Like: