Easy Barbecue Chicken with Rice
Mix the butter in with the hot rice. Serve the chicken right out of the skillet over hot rice. Garnish with dried red pepper flakes and chopped green onion.
You know those days when…
…you’re so busy that there’s no room in your brain to think about what you’re going to make for dinner…
…taking something out of the freezer to defrost is the last thing on your mind…
…you feel like you should eat something healthy for dinner because your willpower to avoid junk food during the day didn’t work out so well…
…you get home late from work, running errands, or whatever, and hold the fridge doors open, just staring with a dazed look over your face at what’s in there while trying to come up with what to make for dinner…
For “all of the above”, a busy day go-to meal may be just the thing.
This easy BBQ chicken is one of those meals. And it can also be served with a veggie or salad if you like.
It requires that a few things be on hand;
1) BBQ sauce that’s a bit on the sweet side,
2) frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts (and defrosted in the microwave); or fresh boneless skinless chicken breasts if you have them on hand,
3) brown rice (or white if preferred),
4) dried red pepper flakes, and
5) something with a little crunch to top the dish off like green onions, sesame seeds, or finely chopped peanuts.
And also some basic ingredients; olive oil, butter, salt, pepper and water. Oh and a rice cooker too.
I like to use BBQ sauce that’s just a little on the sweet side because when adding the red pepper flakes, that sweet, hot, and repeat taste with the chicken is really good.
Here’s how to make it.
For the Rice:
Rinse and drain the rice.
Add the rice to the cooker.
Add the water…
…cover with the lid and cook the rice….all I have to say is thank goodness for rice cookers.
When the rice is done cooking (about 30 minutes), gently stir the butter in with the hot rice.
For the Chicken:
While the rice is cooking, cut the chicken in small 1-inch pieces.
Sprinkle pepper and…
salt on the chicken.
Heat a non-stick skillet on medium heat and add the olive oil.
Add the chicken and crushed red pepper.
Stir and cook the chicken until it’s completely cooked.
add the barbecue sauce.
Stir until all pieces of the chicken are coated with the sauce.
serve the chicken right out of the skillet over hot rice.
Top with green onions…
…and a pinch of dried red pepper flakes for garnish.
More Quick and Easy recipes with rice:
Don’t miss a CCC recipe. Subscribe to Coupon Clipping Cook and get an email each time we have a new post. Here’s the link to subscribe to CCC.
Easy Barbecue Chicken with Rice
This quick and easy chicken served over brown or white rice is perfect for a busy weeknight meal!
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in small pieces (about 1-inch pieces)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup prepared barbecue sauce
- ¼ teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes or to taste (for the chicken)
- 2 servings of warm cooked brown or white rice
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened (for the rice)
- 2 to 3 pinches of dried crushed red pepper flakes (for garnish)
- 2 green onions, chopped (including the green part) (for garnish)
Sprinkle salt and pepper on the chicken.
Heat a non-stick skillet on medium heat and add olive oil. Add the chicken and crushed red pepper. Stir and cook the chicken for 7 to 10 minutes or until it's completely cooked.
Add the barbecue sauce. Stir until all pieces of the chicken are coated with the sauce.
To Serve - Mix butter in with the warm rice. Serve the chicken right out of the skillet over warm rice. Garnish with dried red pepper flakes and chopped green onion.