Mexican Fideo Pasta with Vegetables
A wonderful addition to a meal.
Here’s a delicious recipe for fideo (the spanish word for noodles) and vegetables.
This delightful dish is made in a large skillet. The vegetables are cut into bite size pieces which add beautiful color to the dish and texture as well.
The vegetables, garlic and herbs are sautéed in olive oil and then uncooked fideo pasta is added to the skillet.
Every time I make this dish (which is a lot because it tastes like comfort food to me)….as I’m browning the uncooked fideo pasta it reminds me of making Rice-A-Roni when I was going to college.
There were uncooked noodles in the box of Rice-A-Roni that were browned in the same way.
When shopping for fideo pasta at the grocery store, the first place I like to check for the noodles is in the Hispanic or Mexican Food section.
The bags of fideo pasta in this section may say “Fideo” or they may say “Vermicelli“; the packages are fairly small which is nice (there’s a picture of this package of fideo below).
On the regular pasta aisle at the grocery store, there is generally a larger bag of short pieces of vermicelli noodles.
Although it may not say “fideo” on the package it works great for this recipe.
This fideo recipe doesn’t include meat but I’ve made it before with ground beef and it’s really good.
And if you happen to pack your lunch for work, it warms up nicely in the microwave too.
Here are more pasta recipes made with vegetables you may like “Smoked Sausage, Pasta and Vegetable One-Skillet Meal“, “Chicken, Pasta and Broccoli with Cheese Sauce” and “Browned Butter and Lemon Pasta with Bacon and Asparagus“.
Let’s check out the ingredients.
Onion, red or green bell pepper, Serrano hot pepper, zucchini (Italian squash), garlic, lime, olive oil, canned cut tomatoes, fideo (short pieces of vermicelli noodles), fresh or dried oregano, cilantro and…
…beef broth, cumin, ground black pepper, salt, and Parmesan cheese
A printable recipe with the measurements and instructions is located at the bottom of this post.
Here’s how to make it.
Start by coarsely chopping the onion.
Cut the red or green bell pepper into about 2-inch pieces.
Then cut the zucchini into bite size pieces.
Remove the stem and seeds, and dice the Serrano pepper.
Next, dice the garlic.
Feel free to add other veggies you may have on hand.
Heat a large skillet on medium heat and add olive oil, onion, bell pepper, and Serrano pepper.
Sauté the vegetables and stir as they cook for 5 minutes.
To the pan, add the fideo (short pieces of vermicelli) noodles…
…and garlic. Stir together.
…until most of the noodles turn a light golden brown color.
Then to the pan, add the cut tomatoes…
…beef broth and zucchini.
Also to the pan, add…
…oregano, pepper, cumin and salt.
Turn the heat down to low and cover the pan with a lid for about 8 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed by the noodles.
Once the noodles have absorbed the liquid…
…to the pan, add chopped cilantro, grated Parmesan cheese and lime juice. Stir together.
Do a quick taste test and add more salt if needed.
Serve while warm as a main or side dish.
…it’s time to eat.
Thank you so much for stopping by CCC!
More Pasta Recipes You May Like:
Don’t miss a CCC recipe. Subscribe to Coupon Clipping Cook and get an email each time we have a new post. Here’s the link to subscribe to CCC.
Mexican Fideo with Veggies
- 1/2 of a medium size onion (white or yellow) peeled and coarsely chopped (about 2-inch size pieces)
- 1 medium size red or green bell pepper coarsely chopped in about 2-inch size pieces
- 1 whole zucchini (Italian Squash) cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 serrano hot pepper stem and seeds removed, and diced
- 1 large clove garlic peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 package (7 ounces) fideo (short pieces of vermicelli noodles)
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or salt to taste
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) cut tomatoes
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano or 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 whole lime
- Heat a large skillet on medium heat and add olive oil. To the pan, add onion, red bell pepper, and Serrano peppers.
- Sauté and stir the vegetables as they cook for 5 minutes. Then add the noodles and garlic, and stir them in with the oil and veggies.
- To the pan, add the uncooked fideo noodles and garlic. Continuously stir all ingredients.
- Continue stirring until most of the noodles turn a light golden brown color.
- Then to the pan, add the cut tomatoes, beef broth, zucchini, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Stir together and turn the heat down to low.
- Cover the pan with a lid for about 8 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed by the noodles.
- When the liquid is absorbed by the noodles stir in grated Parmesan cheese, lime juice and chopped cilantro.
- Do a taste test and add more salt if needed. Serve warm as a side or main dish.