Easy Macaroni and Cheese with Cavatappi Pasta
This simple-to-make, extra scrumptious macaroni and cheese is made with cavatappi pasta, two types of cheese and a quick and easy white sauce. Comfort food to the max!
Macaroni and cheese is one of those side dishes that just looks so darn good it’s impossible to pass up.
In this simple macaroni and cheese recipe, not only does it taste heavenly on its own but this mac and cheese also makes a great base for a main dish. Just add cooked ground meat, and cooked vegetables to it for a quick and easy meal. Here’s an example called “Sloppy Joe and Macaroni and Cheese“.
When I was growing up my mother made just a handful of recipes from scratch so I had a lot of frozen food for dinner. But, since things are relative, I didn’t really know what I was missing out on because I didn’t know what I didn’t know about how much better homemade food was than frozen.
So some of the delicious food I remember was frozen food like meatloaf topped with tomato sauce and served with mashed potatoes, or frozen taquitos with avocado sauce.
But, I have to say the ultimate best frozen food I remember was macaroni and cheese. It tasted so amazingly delicious to me then. And since it was baked in the oven (pre-microwave days) the top of the macaroni and cheese got a little crunch to it where the pasta would brown, and it was the best part.
I still love macaroni and cheese, only I make it from scratch these days.
Since there are so many pastas to choose from in the grocery store, I like to change up the pasta that I use when making it. In this version, I used cavatappi pasta. This pasta is tubular and shaped like a corkscrew. “cavatappi” actually means corkscrew in Italian.
It’s one of my favorite pastas because it’s more on the “meaty”, or “hearty” side. When cooked al-denti (cooked to be firm to the bite), the cavatappi pasta adds heartiness to macaroni and cheese.
Interestingly, cavatappi pasta is also known by other names such as cellentani, amori, spirali, or tortiglione.
This macaroni and cheese tastes sooo good with the cavatappi pasta. And to add another level of deliciousness to this mac and cheese, there’s a touch of granulated garlic added.
Oh, and about those frozen dinners I loved as a kid mentioned above, here are the homemade versions of them that I make now; Slow Cooker Meatloaf with Seasoned Tomato Sauce Topping, and Taquitos with Homemade Avocado Sauce.
So let’s check out the ingredients for this macaroni and cheese;
Cavatappi pasta (cooked al-denti according to package instructions) butter, flour, sharp cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, milk, granulated garlic, salt and ground black pepper.
A printable recipe with the measurements and instructions is located at the bottom of this post.
Here’s how to make it:
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Heat a medium size pot on medium heat and add butter.
Stir the butter around the pot…
…until it’s melted.
When the butter and flour start to thicken (about 2 minutes),
add milk and…
Stir in the granulated garlic and salt.
Remove the pan of white sauce from the heat and set aside for just a moment.
In a medium size casserole dish, add the cooked pasta. Pour the white sauce over the pasta and…
…stir together to coat the pasta.
Then add half of the cheese to the pasta and white sauce mixture.
…so that the cheese is mixed in with the pasta and sauce.
Top the pasta mixture with the remaining cheese.
Bake in a preheated oven…
…the cheese melts (about 15 minutes). Serve as soon as possible.
Thank you so much for stopping by CCC!
More Pasta Recipes You May Like:
Don’t miss a CCC recipe. Subscribe to Coupon Clipping Cook and get an email each time we have a new post. Here’s the link to subscribe to CCC.
Easy Macaroni and Cheese with Cavatappi Pasta
The simple-to-make, extra scrumptious macaroni and cheese is made with hearty cavatappi pasta, two types of cheese and a quick and easy white sauce. Comfort food to the max!
- 4 cups cooked (al-dente) Cavatappi pasta cook al-dente according to package instructions
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk set on counter for about 5 minutes before using so it's room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or salt to taste
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Heat a medium size pot on medium heat and add butter. Stir the butter around the pot until it's melted. Add flour and stir continuously.
- When the butter and flour start to thicken (about 2 minutes), add milk and stir. Stir in garlic powder and salt. Remove the white sauce from the heat and set aside for a moment.
- In a medium size casserole dish, add the cooked pasta. Pour the white sauce over the pasta and stir together to coat the pasta.
- Add half of the cheese to the pasta and white sauce mixture. Stir so that the cheese is mixed in with the pasta and white sauce.
- Top the pasta mixture with the remaining cheese. Bake in a preheated oven until the cheese melts (about 15 minutes).
Serve right away while warm.