Oven-Roasted Blackened Chicken
This tender roasted blackened chicken seasoned with a homemade blend of spices, is easy to make and tastes wonderful.
This blackened chicken is so easy to make.
The ingredients include a whole chicken and a homemade blend of seasonings.
If you haven’t mastered how to cut up a whole chicken into 8 pieces (2 breast halves, 2 thighs, 2 wings and 2 legs), no worries.
Because this whole chicken has just one cut right down the middle (lengthwise).
And btw, I happen to be one of those who hasn’t mastered cutting up a whole chicken into the proper pieces.
About this Recipe
This blackened chicken gets its start by using a sturdy knife to cut through the middle of a whole chicken.
Then olive oil and seasonings are added to all sides of the chicken before roasting it in the oven.
This blackened chicken can be served as is or cut into separate pieces.
Let’s check out the ingredients.
A whole chicken, olive oil, chili powder, paprika, ground sage, granulated garlic, onion powder, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
A printable recipe with the measurements and instructions is located at the bottom of this post.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
For the Whole Chicken:
Remove the giblets from the chicken and discard.
Set the whole chicken (flat side down) on a cutting board that’s only used for cutting raw meat.
TIP – I use just one of my cutting boards for meat only.
And always scrub the cutting board clean with hot water and a lot of soap.
Use a sturdy knife to carefully cut the chicken in half from the cavity of the chicken to the tail end.
Cut off any excess skin that’s hanging off the cavity or tail end areas.
In a roasting pan, or sturdy sheet pan with sides, lay each piece of chicken skin-side down.
Olive Oil and Seasonings:
Drizzle olive oil over the inside halves of the chicken.
Next, add the spices on both sides of the chicken.
TIP – The seasonings can either be added separately or they can be mixed together first.
Sprinkle half of the amount of spices over the inside halves of the chicken (in any order)…
…the chili powder…
…and red pepper flakes.
Next, turn the chicken halves over so the skin side is up.
Drizzle olive oil over the top of the chicken and sprinkle the remaining spices over the chicken…
…the pepper, granulated garlic…
…chili powder, onion powder, salt, and red pepper flakes.
Bake the chicken in a preheated (at 375 degrees F.) oven (uncovered) until the chicken is thoroughly cooked (about 1 hour).
TIP – After the chicken has cooked, let it rest for at least 15 minutes before cutting so that the juices don’t run out of the meat.
Serve the chicken as is (for larger portions) or…
…cut the chicken into serving pieces.
Then meat is moist and tender.
And the skin tastes so good.
Thank you so much for stopping by CCC!
SUBSCRIBE TO CCC
Don’t Miss a CCC Recipe! Subscribe now to Coupon Clipping Cook and get an email each time we have a new post. CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE TO COUPON CLIPPING COOK.
Oven-Roasted Blackened Chicken
- 1 whole (about 4 pounds) chicken
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 3 teaspoons onion powder
- 3 teaspoons paprika
- 3 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 3 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 2 teaspoons ground sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil 1 tablespoon per half piece of chicken
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- For the Chicken - Remove and discard the giblets. Set the whole chicken with the flat side down on a cutting board or other cutting surface used to cut raw meat. Use a sturdy knife to carefully cut the chicken in half from the cavity of the chicken to the tail end. Cut off any excess skin that is hanging off the cavity and tail end areas.
- In a roasting pan or sturdy cookie sheet with sides, lay the chicken skin side down. Drizzle half of the olive oil over the inside halves of the chicken.
- For the Seasonings - If you like, you can mix all of the spices together and then sprinkle them over the chicken. Or sprinkle each spice over the chicken separately. Sprinkle half of the amount of the spices over the inside halves of the chicken (in any order).
- Then turn the chicken over so the skin side is up. Drizzle the remaining olive oil over the top of the chicken and sprinkle the remaining spices over the chicken.
- For Cooking - Roast uncovered in a preheated oven (375 degrees F.) for 1 hour or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked. Remove the chicken from the oven and let it rest for at least 15 minutes before cutting it.
- For Serving - Serve as is (for bigger portions), or cut the chicken into pieces (breast, thigh, leg and wing) if preferred.
- I use just one of my cutting boards for meat only and always scrub the cutting board clean with hot water and a lot of soap.
- If preferred all of the spices can be mixed together and then sprinkled on the chicken.
- Let the chicken rest for at least 15 minutes before cutting so that the meat is juicy. If the chicken is cut too soon, the juices will run out.
- Leftover chicken can be shredded or cut in pieces and served in tacos, enchiladas or over black/pinto beans and rice; or in a salad.
This recipe was originally published on November 13, 2011.
More Poultry Recipes You May Like: