Limeade Cranberry and Blackberry Compote
This compote is so easy to make it leaves you more time for doing other things.
Compote is a quick and easy way to use up leftover berries (and fruit too) especially when they start to get a little on the soft side.
It’s so good as a topping on ice cream, pancakes, waffles, plain yogurt and oatmeal.
I like to serve it in a little bowl alongside a meal with pork, chicken, or beef, similar to how one may serve applesauce.
What I like most about this recipe is that the lime flavor really stands out.
Along with the sweet syrup, it reminds me of limeade.
It’s also made with a bit of grated ginger root which adds a fresh and slightly tangy taste.
As I was taking pictures of this recipe my little Boston Terrier was “helping” me.
He makes me laugh so much that I had to include some pics below where he photobombed my shots.
His name is Bubba Jay.
Let’s check out the ingredients.
Fresh cranberries, blackberries, lime juice, lime zest, sugar, water, and ginger root. No Bubba Jay, you can’t have a blackberry.
A printable recipe with the measurements and instructions is located at the bottom of this post.
Here’s how to make it.
Rinse the cranberries, (no cranberries for Bubba Jay)…
…rinse the blackberries…
…peel and grate the ginger root…
…and zest a lime. Set aside.
In a medium size pan, add water…
…and from the lime that was zested,
To the pan, add grated ginger root,
Heat the pan on medium heat.
Stir as the mixture heats.
Once the liquid boils…
Add the cranberries…
…and stir. The cranberries should start to pop.
TIP – If the liquid begins to foam and rise like in the picture above, turn the heat down just a bit.
Continue to stir until the liquid starts to reduce (about 5 minutes).
When there is still some liquid in the pan, turn off the heat and move the pan on to an unused burner on the stove, or on a heat resistant surface or hot pad.
…to the pan,
add the blackberries…
…gently stir together.
Top with lime zest…
…and serve warm or chilled.
Here comes Bubba Jay for a visit.
Hi Bubba Jay, no compote for you.
yum, so good.
Enjoy each and every…
Um, Bubba Jay just climbed in my lap.
No more picture taking for now. Just hugs for Bubba Jay.
Thank you so much for stopping by CCC!
More Holiday Recipes You May Like:
Don’t miss a CCC recipe. Subscribe to Coupon Clipping Cook and get an email each time we have a new post. Here’s the link to subscribe to CCC.
- 1 bag (12 ounces) fresh cranberries
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh blackberries
- 1 lime zested
- 1 lime juiced
- ¼ teaspoon peeled and grated ginger root
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- To a medium size pan add water, lime juice, ginger root, and sugar. Stir. Heat the pan on medium heat.
- When the water comes to a boil, add the cranberries and stir. Cook until the cranberries begin to pop (about 5 minutes). If the liquid in the pan is boiling too rapidly (and rising), turn down the heat to low.
- Turn off the heat and move the pan to an unused burner on the stove, or on a heat resistant surface or hot pad.
- Add the blackberries. Gently stir together. Top with lime zest and serve warm or chilled.
- When cooking the cranberries; the liquid in the pan is boiling too rapidly (and rising), turn down the heat to low.