Cherry Pineapple and Mandarin Orange Ambrosia
This ambrosia tastes as good as it looks and is sure to be a crowd-pleaser with people coming back for seconds and even thirds.
One of the fun things I like about being a grown up is doing things my own way.
When I was a kid we always had ambrosia with our holiday meals.
I’d pick thru my serving to find the little treasures like the cherries, mandarin oranges, and pieces of pineapple. But they were far and few between.
So now that I’m a grown up, I load up my ambrosia with my favorites (extra cherries, mandarin oranges, and pineapple chunks).
And because I don’t want to break too much tradition I add a can of fruit cocktail for good measure….but I just can’t help myself from using the triple cherry kind.
My biggest pet peeve when I’m making ambrosia is when the fruit isn’t thoroughly drained. It makes the marshmallows soggy and the Cool Whip gets kind of runny.
So the very first thing I do in the morning when I start cooking for Thanksgiving is to drain the cans of fruit, and then put the fruit in a strainer for as long as possible (about 4 hours).
Then the ambrosia turns out super light and fluffy.
This ambrosia is super quick to make and is best when the marshmallows and Cool Whip are mixed in just before serving.
Let’s check out the ingredients.
Canned pineapple chunks, mandarin oranges, triple cherry fruit cocktail, maraschino cherries, mini marshmallows, and Cool Whip topping
A printable recipe with the measurements and instructions is located at the bottom of this post.
Here’s how to make it.
Set a large strainer on top of a plate or large flat bowl and set aside for a moment.
Drain out the juice from the cans of fruit.
Add the pineapple,
fruit cocktail, and
mandarin oranges to the strainer.
Cut the cherries in half and add them to the strainer.
Using a spoon, spread the fruit out in the strainer so it’s not lumped together.
Let the fruit sit in the strainer for 2 to 3 hours (or more) if you have time, so that all of the juice is drained from the fruit.
Transfer the fruit to a large bowl.
Add the marshmallows, and
the Cool Whip.
gently blend in the Cool Whip.
Garnish with maraschino cherries (with stems).
Thank you so much for stopping by CCC!
More Side Dishes You May Like:
Don’t miss a CCC recipe. Subscribe to Coupon Clipping Cook and get an email each time we have a new post. Here’s the link to subscribe to CCC.
- 15 whole maraschino cherries no stems (for the ambrosia)
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin orange slices
- 1 can (15 ounces) triple cherry or regular fruit cocktail
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 2 cups Cool Whip Topping
- 3 maraschino cherries with stems (for garnish)
- Set a large strainer on top of a plate or large flat bowl. Set aside for just a moment. Drain out the juice from the cans of fruit. Add the pineapple, fruit cocktail, and mandarin oranges to the strainer.
- Cut the cherries in half and add them to the strainer. Using a spoon, spread the fruit out in the strainer so it’s not lumped together. Let the fruit sit in the strainer for 2 to 3 hours (or more) if you have time, so that all of the juice is completely drained from the fruit.
- Transfer the fruit to a large bowl and add the marshmallows, and Cool Whip. Gently blend in the Cool Whip. Garnish with maraschino cherries with stems. Serve chilled.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn on qualifying purchases. This means that if you click on a link, I may earn a commission. You can read our full disclosure here. In addition I may earn a commission for purchases made via my Amazon Influencer page.
Items Used In This Recipe, Or That You May Like From Amazon: