Spicy Chipotle and Pasilla Chili with Ground Beef
Packed with incredible flavors.
No need to buy canned chili when you can make this super simple homemade chili your very own self.
All you do is add the ingredients in a big pot, stir, let simmer for a short while, then serve with delicious toppings such as shredded cheese, sour cream, onions, and avocado.
It’s especially tasty when different types of chili powders are added.
In this recipe chipotle, pasilla, and regular chili powder (generally a blend of spices) gives the chili a slightly smoky flavor and lots of spice.
A great place to find a variety of different types of chili powder is in the Mexican Food or Hispanic Food section of the grocery store.
They’re in cellophane packages and generally cost much less than the spices located in the regular spice section.
You’ll just need to have a small container with a lid to store them in.
The 4-ounce size Ball canning jars work nicely for storing these spices.
What I also like about this homemade chili is that it can be frozen (without the toppings of course) and comes in super handy for a quick meal on a day when I’m in a rush or I’m just plain old too tired to cook.
In this chili there are fresh veggies, lean ground beef, tomato and a number of spices.
And it’s topped with cheese, sour cream, onions and avocados but feel free to change up the toppings to your liking.
This would also taste wonderful topped with pico de gallo.
Let’s check out the ingredients.
For the Chili – ground beef, green and red bell peppers, jalapeno, onion, garlic, olive oil, dried Mexican oregano (or regular oregano), chipotle chili powder, pasilla chili powder, and regular chili powder, cut tomatoes, tomato sauce, black beans, cumin, onion powder, granulated garlic, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes (optional), water and masa flour
For the Toppings – shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, chopped onions, and avocado
A printable recipe with the measurements and instructions is located at the bottom of this post.
Here’s how to make it.
For the Chili:
Chop the green bell peppers,
the red bell peppers,
and the onion in about 1 inch size pieces.
Then chop the garlic and jalapeno.
Heat a large pot on medium heat and add olive oil.
Add the bell peppers, onion, garlic, and jalapeno to the pan.
Next add the ground beef and stir.
Then add the oregano,
chipotle chili powder,
pasilla chili powder,
Add cut tomatoes, tomato sauce and water to the pan.
Then add the black beans and stir.
Next add granulated garlic, cumin,
Add salt, pepper…
…red pepper flakes…
…masa flour and stir.
Let simmer for about 45 minutes or until the desired consistency is met.
Continue to stir the chili as it simmers.
Serve warm topped with shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, onions…
Then dig in and enjoy each and every warm spicy bite.
Thank you so much for stopping by CCC!
More Recipes Made with Chili You May Like:
Don’t miss a CCC recipe. Subscribe to Coupon Clipping Cook and get an email each time we have a new post. Here’s the link to subscribe to CCC.
For the Chili:
- 1/2 of a green bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 of a red bell pepper chopped
- 1 jalapeno stem and seeds removed and chopped
- 1/2 of an onion peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon pasilla chili powder
- 3 teaspoons regular chili powder
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) cut tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt or salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes – optional for more heat, add more to taste
- 2 tablespoons (heaping) masa flour
For the Toppings:
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 avocado cut in half, seed removed, meat spooned out and chopped
For the Chili:
- Heat a large pot on medium heat and add the olive oil.
- To the pot, add green and red bell peppers, onion, garlic and jalapeno. Stir. Add the ground beef and stir.
- To the pot, add oregano, chipotle chili powder, pasilla chili powder, chili powder, and stir.
- Add the cut tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, black beans and stir.
- Next add the cumin, granulated garlic, onion powder, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, masa flour, and stir.
- Let simmer for about 45 minutes or until the desired consistency is met. Stir as the chili simmers.
For the Toppings:
- Serve warm topped with cheddar cheese, sour cream, onions, and avocado.