Very Cherry Shirley Temple with Lime
A twist to an old classic.
As a kid whenever I was in a restaurant, the one and only drink I ordered was a Shirley Temple.
I savored that one maraschino cherry on top of the drink and saved it for the very end.
It was sort of like the prize in a Cracker Jack box….the cherry was the best part of the Shirley Temple.
Now that I’m a grown-up (but a kid at heart of course) I make my own Shirley Temples and load them up with maraschino cherries.
To jazz up a Shirley Temple, I like to add thinly cut lime wedges in with the cherries.
The colors are so pretty together.
The sweet taste of the cherry and grenadine syrup, in combination with the tart lime, complement one another nicely.
It’s fun serving this drink in a Mason jar too.
But if you don’t have Mason jars, no worries, just serve this delicious drink in a tall clear glass so all of the pretty colors will show through.
Each serving is actually made in the serving glass rather than in a separate pitcher and poured into the serving glasses.
Before making each drink, an option is to first freeze the serving glasses and then just before making the drink, dip the rim of the glass in a small bowl of sugar so the rim is completely covered like in the picture above.
I actually took these pictures on a very hot day so there was quite a bit of condensation on the outside of the glass so the sugared part on the glass rim was a bit diluted.
But of course it tasted great when drinking my Shirley Temple right from the jar.
Let’s check out the ingredients.
Lemon lime soda, grenadine syrup, maraschino cherries, ice, and…
…thinly cut wedges of lime. The Mason jars are optional.
A printable recipe with the measurements and instructions is located at the bottom of this post.
Here’s how to make it.
Cut the limes into thin wedges (7 wedges per lime).
…to each Mason jar or serving glass…
add 6 maraschino cherries.
fill the Mason jars three quarters full with ice cubes.
slide the wedges of lime in between the ice cubes and the inside of the glass jar, so that it looks pretty from the outside of the glass.
Add 3 more maraschino cherries to each jar wherever there is room in between the ice cubes.
Add lemon lime soda and leave about 2 inches of space at the top of the jar or glass.
add 2 teaspoons of liquid from the jar of maraschino cherries to each Mason jar or glass.
add grenadine syrup…
Add more ice…
…until it reaches the top of the jar.
Top with a couple more cherries and lime wedges.
As an option, the mason jars can be put in the freezer about an hour before making the Shirley Temple.
Just before adding the ingredients to the jars, add about 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar to a shallow bowl, turn the jars upside down, and twist the rim of the jars in the sugar.
…serve immediately while it’s ice cold and…
Thank you so much for stopping by CCC!
More Refreshing Drink Recipes You May Like:
Don’t miss a CCC recipe. Subscribe to Coupon Clipping Cook and get an email each time we have a new post. Here’s the link to subscribe to CCC.
- 12 ounces lemon lime soda
- 4 teaspoons grenadine syrup
- 4 teaspoons liquid from the jar of maraschino cherries
- 22 Maraschino cherries with stems
- 2 whole limes each lime cut into 7 wedges
- Ice cubes
- 2 pint size Mason jars optional
Serving Option - Sugar Coated Mason Jar or Glass Rim:
- As an option, the mason jars can be put in the freezer about an hour before making the Shirley Temple.
- And just before adding the ingredients to the jars, add 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar to a shallow bowl, turn the jars upside down, and twist the rim of the jars in the sugar.
For the Very Cherry Shirley Temples:
- To Mason jars or serving glasses, add 6 maraschino cherries. Fill the jars or glasses three quarters full with ice cubes.
- In each glass slide 4 wedges of lime in between the ice cubes and the inside of the glass jar (or serving glass) so that it looks pretty from the outside of the glass.
- Add 3 more maraschino cherries wherever there is room in between the ice cubes.
- Add lemon lime soda leaving 2 inches of space at the top of the jar. Next add 2 teaspoons of liquid from the jar of maraschino cherries to each Mason jar.
- Then add the grenadine syrup and stir. Add more ice until it reaches the top of the jar.
- Top with a couple more cherries and the remaining lime wedges. Serve right away while ice cold.