Cottage Cheese White Pizza with Pepperoni and Sausage
This three-cheese white pizza is made with two types of traditional cheese and one that’s deliciously untraditional.
You may have guessed it by the name of this pizza…the untraditional cheese used in this recipe is cottage cheese.
This pizza is also made with two traditional cheeses…mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
And since this is a white pizza, cottage cheese is used in place of tomato sauce.
I started using cottage cheese instead of tomato sauce a few years ago and now it’s one of my favorite ways to make pizza.
I still of course love pizza with tomato sauce but it’s nice to switch it up with cottage cheese sometimes.
Cottage Cheese in Place of Pizza Sauce
I especially like pizza made with cottage cheese (no tomato sauce) because it spreads well on top of the crust and seems to give the pizza an overall slightly thicker and softer texture.
Pizza made with cottage cheese has a delicious creamy bite to it.
The picture above with a side view of the cut pizza may give you an idea of the kind of “pillowy” texture that the cottage cheese adds.
Also, the cottage cheese stands up nicely after the pizza is cooked.
As you can see in the bite above, the cottage cheese adds a creamy layer in between the melted mozzarella cheese and the crust.
About the Naan Bread Pizza Crust
Speaking of the crust…in this recipe it’s made with naan bread which is a flatbread.
Naan bread makes a wonderful pizza crust because it’s light, soft and sturdy.
It’s also the perfect size for a personal pizza.
Although the shape of naan bread isn’t perfectly round, it’s a close second.
It has a slight oval shape to it, but the naan bread still fits nicely on a small round pizza pan.
Naan bread may also come in different varieties such as roasted garlic, whole grain or with caramelized onions.
I used roasted garlic naan bread in this recipe.
Where is Naan Bread Located in the Grocery Store?
Specialty breads can sometimes be hard to find in the supermarket because they may not be located on the bread aisle.
Here are some suggestions on where to find naan bread in a supermarket:
- On the pre-packaged bread aisle by other types of flatbreads such as pita bread, wraps, tortillas or focaccia bread
- On a rack or a stand in the area by the service deli (where they slice deli meats and cheeses for you)
- In the area by where the specialty cheeses are located, on a rack or a stand
- In the freshly baked bread (bakery) area on a rack or a stand
- In the artisan bread section
- On the international food aisle
- On the natural food or organic food aisle
About the Toppings
Although the toppings on this pizza are pepperoni, cooked Italian sausage and sliced black olives, feel free to change this up to your favorite toppings.
Let’s check out the ingredients.
Pizza – Naan bread, cottage cheese (small or large curd and any amount of milkfat), shredded mozzarella cheese, olive oil, granulated garlic, onion powder, dried oregano, salt and toppings
Toppings – Sliced pepperoni, small pieces of cooked Italian sausage, sliced black olives and grated Parmesan cheese (or a cheese blend)
Equipment – 2 small size pizza pans or a baking sheet, and a pizza cutter (optional)
How to Make this Recipe
A printable recipe with the measurements and instructions is located at the bottom of this post.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
For each personal size pizza:
Pizza Pan – on a small pizza pan (or baking sheet)…
…add a drizzle of olive oil.
With a pastry or cooking brush, spread the oil evenly around the pan.
Naan Bread and Cottage Cheese – Lay a naan bread on top of the pizza pan.
On top of the naan bread…
…add a layer of…
…leaving about 3/4-inch of crust without the cottage cheese.
Seasonings – On top of the cottage cheese…
Mozzarella Cheese – On top of the seasoned cottage cheese…
…add shredded mozzarella cheese.
Pepperoni, Italian Sausage and Black Olives – Top the cheese with…
Top the pepperoni with…
…small pieces of cooked Italian sausage…
…sliced black olives…
…grated Parmesan cheese.
Bake in a preheated oven (at 400 degrees F.)…
…until the cheese is melted and bubbly…
…and the edges of the pepperoni start to get crispy (about 8 minutes).
With a pizza cutter…
…cut the pizza into 4 pieces.
Top with more grated Parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes if desired.
Thank you so much for stopping by CCC!
Don’t miss a CCC recipe. Subscribe to Coupon Clipping Cook and get an email each time we have a new post. Here’s the link to subscribe to CCC.
Cottage Cheese White Pizza with Pepperoni and Sausage
- 2 drizzles olive oil (For the baking/pizza pan)
- 2 whole (about 4.4 ounces each) Naan breads
- 2/3 cup cottage cheese (small or large curd, and any amount of fat content)
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 4 dashes salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup (heaping) small pieces of cooked Italian sausage
- 24 slices pepperoni
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese (or cheese blend)
- 2 small to medium-size pizza pans or a large baking sheet
- Pizza cutter (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
For Each Personal Size Pizza:
- Pizza Pan - on a small pizza pan (or baking sheet) add a drizzle of olive oil. With a pastry or cooking brush, spread the oil evenly around the pan.
- Naan Bread and Cottage Cheese - Lay a naan bread on top of the pizza pan. On top of the naan bread, add a layer of cottage cheese leaving about 3/4-inch of crust without the cottage cheese.
- Seasonings - On top of the cottage cheese sprinkle salt, granulated garlic, onion powder and dried oregano.
- Mozzarella Cheese - On top of the seasoned cottage cheese add shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Pepperoni, Italian Sausage and Black Olives - Top the cheese with slices of pepperoni. Top the pepperoni with pieces of cooked Italian sausage, sliced black olives and grated Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in a preheated oven (at 400 degrees F.) until the cheese is melted and bubbly and the edges of the pepperoni start to get crispy (about 8 minutes).
- With a pizza cutter, cut the pizza into 4 pieces and serve warm.
- Top with more grated Parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes if desired.
More Pizza Recipes
More recipes with cheese:
Finger Food Recipes
More Finger Food Recipes: