Simple Homemade Coleslaw
This coleslaw is perfect for a quick and easy side dish that will have you coming back for more.
This is the time of year when cabbage tends goes on sale, especially right before St. Patrick’s Day.
When the price is super cheap it’s hard to pass it up.
I usually buy too many and end up having to stuff them in the nooks and crannies of my refrigerator just to get them to fit.
Cabbage lasts nicely in the fridge and it’s wonderful in salads, tacos, soups, or when sautéed or even steamed.
And it’s so good made into coleslaw too.
Have you had coleslaw in a sandwich before?
Here’s a sandwich with quick and easy homemade coleslaw made with sliced corned beef “Corned Beef and Slaw Sandwich“.
Let’s check out the ingredients.
Shredded green cabbage, shredded purple cabbage (“red” cabbage), carrots, green onions, mayonnaise, sugar, rice vinegar, salt and pepper
A printable recipe with the measurements and instructions is located at the bottom of this post.
Here’s how to make it.
Thinly slice the green cabbage in about 2 to 3 inch long pieces.
Then add it to a large bowl.
Next, thinly slice the purple cabbage in the same size pieces…
…and add it to the bowl.
Chop the green onions,
and the carrots, and them to the bowl.
Add the mayonnaise,
and rice vinegar to the bowl.
Stir together all ingredients until completely combined.
Give the coleslaw a quick taste to see if you prefer more salt or a bit more sugar.
Chill in the refrigerator and stir before serving.
This coleslaw is best when served within 2 hours of making it.
Serve as a side dish, or add to a sandwich instead of lettuce.
It also makes a wonderful snack.
Thank you so much for stopping by CCC!
More Recipes With Cabbage You May Like:
Don’t miss a CCC recipe. Subscribe to Coupon Clipping Cook and get an email each time we have a new post. Here’s the link to subscribe to CCC.
Simple Homemade Coleslaw
- 4 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- ½ cup chopped carrots
- 2 chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt or salt to taste
- 4 dashes ground black pepper
- In a large bowl add the green and purple cabbage, carrots, green onions, rice vinegar, mayonnaise, sugar, salt and pepper. Stir together all ingredients until completely combined.
- Give the coleslaw a quick taste to see if you prefer more salt or a bit more sugar.
- Serve chilled as a side dish, snack or add to a sandwich instead of lettuce. This coleslaw is best when served within 2 hours of making it.