Poblano Pepper and Chicken Soft Tacos
These chicken soft tacos are a quick and easy meal for any day of the week.
Quick and easy boneless skinless chicken breast recipes are the best on busy days or just when the chef doesn’t feel like cooking a big meal.
These soft tacos are made with sautéed poblano and serrano peppers, shallots (or onion if preferred), chicken and warm corn tortillas.
And they’re served topped with thinly sliced green cabbage, sliced tomatoes and Mexican salsa.
Squeeze some fresh lime juice on top and dinner is served.
Let’s check out the ingredients.
Corn tortillas, salsa, boneless skinless chicken breasts, poblano pepper, tomato, shallot (or small onion), Serrano pepper, lime, green cabbage, and…
…olive oil, ground black pepper, granulated garlic, and salt
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
A printable recipe with the measurements and instructions is located at the bottom of this post.
Cut the Peppers and Shallot – Remove the seeds from the poblano pepper and cut it into strips.
Next, cut the shallot or a small onion into slices about 1/2 inch thick.
Then remove the stem and seeds from the Serrano pepper and slice it widthwise.
Set the cut vegetables aside for a moment.
Cutting the Chicken – Cut the chicken into bite-size pieces.
Cook the Peppers, Shallot and Chicken:
Heat a large skillet on medium heat,
…add olive oil,
…poblano peppers, and shallot (or onion).
Stir the poblano peppers and shallots together in the olive oil.
Move the vegetables over to the sides of the pan to make room in the middle for the chicken.
In the middle of the pan, add the chicken…
…and Serrano pepper.
Then add granulated garlic…
Add salt and…
Once the chicken is thoroughly cooked, transfer the ingredients to a plate or bowl and set aside.
Make the Soft Tacos:
Slice tomatoes and thinly slice green cabbage.
Warm the Corn Tortillas – On a medium size microwavable plate, place the corn tortillas and warm them up in the microwave just long enough to make them soft (about 25 seconds).
Right after removing them from the microwave, turn them over so the bottom side doesn’t get wet from the steam.
Set the warm corn tortillas on a serving plate and add the chicken mixture in the middle of each tortilla.
Top with cabbage,
…fresh lime juice…
Serve while the…
…tortilla and chicken mixture are warm.
Thank you so much for stopping by CCC!
Don’t miss a CCC recipe. Subscribe to Coupon Clipping Cook and get an email each time we have a new post. Here’s the link to subscribe to CCC.
Poblano Pepper and Chicken Soft Tacos
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 whole poblano pepper stem and seed removed, cut into widthwise strips
- 1 whole shallot (or small onion), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 skinless boneless chicken breasts cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 Serrano pepper stem and seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1 whole tomato sliced
- 1-1/2 cup shredded (or thinly sliced) green cabbage
- 1/2 cup Mexican salsa
- 1 whole lime cut into quarters (juice from 1 quarter for each taco)
- Cooking the Peppers, Onion and Chicken - Heat a large skillet on medium heat and add olive oil, poblano pepper, and shallot (or onion). Stir.
- Move the poblano pepper, and shallot to the outsides of the pan to make room in the middle of the pan for the chicken.
- In the middle of the pan, add the chicken and Serrano pepper. Then add the granulated garlic, pepper, and salt. Stir the ingredients together.
- Once the chicken is thoroughly cooked, transfer the ingredients to a plate or bowl and set aside.
- Warming the Corn Tortillas - On a medium size microwavable plate, place the corn tortillas and warm them up in the microwave just long enough to make them soft (about 25 seconds).
- Right after removing them from the microwave, turn them over so the bottom side doesn't get wet from the steam.
- Making the Soft Tacos - Set the warm corn tortillas on a serving plate and add the chicken mixture in the middle of each tortilla.
- Top with sliced cabbage, tomato, lime juice (juice from a quarter of the lime for each taco), and salsa.
- Serve while the tortilla and chicken mixture are warm.
These tacos taste wonderful with any type of salsa.
Here are some homemade salsa recipes you may like “Cilantro and Garlic Salsa“, “Roasted Garlic Tomato Salsa” and “Pico de Gallo“.
Serve these tacos with “Chipotle Lime Tortilla Chips” and a “Cherry Basil Margarita“.
Mexican Food Recipes
More Mexican Food Recipes You May Like:
One-Skillet Enchilada Sauce Taco Meat
Corned Beef Taquitos with Homemade Avocado Sauce
These look great! My kids to taco night frequently and would love this 🙂
Hope you had a great Cinco de Mayo!
These look amazing and I love the step by step pictures, makes it really nice to follow the recipe. I will definitely have to try this delicious and healthy recipe
Hi Eric, thank you for stopping by. Have a nice weekend!
Nancy, this look ah-may-zing! What a delicious, zippy recipe for Saturday! I have never seen corn and wheat tortillas but I am totally in LOVE with the idea! YUM!
I can smell it here. Looks very tasty and delicious. Drooling and hungry, definitely will try this recipe =)
Hi Raquel, thank you for stopping by!
I really like what you have come up with here. Authentic mexican cuisine is much like this rather than the cheese and sauce laden Tex Mex food! These are lightly seasoned and made with healthy southwestern veggies, which definitely gets a thumbs up from me. Enjoy the rest of the day!
Hi Tina, thank you very much!
These look fabulous!!! Simple, yet full of marvelous flavor…yum!
Hi Liz, thank you!