Heart-Shaped Seasoned Tortilla Chips
Crispy seasoned tortilla chips with a festive heart-shaped twist.
There’s no chocolate or sweets in this Valentine’s Day treat.
Just seasoned crispy tortilla chips that are easy to make and fun to eat.
Serve these chips as an appetizer, snack or side dish.
Let’s check out the ingredients.
Corn tortillas, canola oil, chili powder and salt
Equipment – Heart-shaped cookie cutters
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
A printable recipe with the measurements and instructions is located at the bottom of this post.
Cut the Tortillas into Hearts:
Using various sizes of heart-shaped cookie cutters, cut out as many hearts as possible within the edges of each corn tortilla.
When cutting out the hearts, keep the edges of the “main” tortilla intact so that it can also be fried and made into a big tortilla chip.
The cut-outs can be large hearts…
…or itty-bitty hearts.
Or even a combination of all sizes.
These thin rimmed hearts are really fun to eat too.
Frying the Heart-Shaped Tortillas:
After the tortillas are cut into heart shapes, heat a small to medium-size skillet on low to medium heat and add canola oil.
Put a small scrap of tortilla in the pan.
When it starts to sizzle, the oil should be ready.
Using tongs, carefully add a few tortilla chips to the pan (or more depending on the size of the pan).
Just try not to overcrowd the pan.
Use tongs to carefully turn the tortillas over when the bottom side turns a golden color.
Remove the chips from the pan when both sides are a golden color.
Set them onto a paper towel-lined large plate.
If the oil starts to get too hot, turn the heat down.
Continue cooking the tortillas in batches.
An option is to use a small skillet, so less oil is needed.
…which may require more batches then when using a larger skillet.
Seasoning the Heart Shaped Tortilla Chips:
Right after transferring the chips to a paper-lined plate, lightly sprinkle them with salt and chili powder.
This way the salt and chili powder will stick to the tortilla chips.
Serving the Heart Shaped Tortilla Chips:
As an option, these can be served in a small decorative pail, so they look like a “bouquet”.
Just stuff the pail with loosely rolled parchment paper…
…prop the larger sized heart-shaped tortilla chips in the crevices of the parchment paper.
Then fill in the “base of the bouquet” by propping the smaller sized tortilla chips in the remaining crevices of the parchment paper.
There you go, a bouquet of Valentine Heart tortilla chips.
Enjoy the chips as is, or with salsa, pico de gallo and guacamole.
Thank you so much for stopping by CCC!
SUBSCRIBE TO CCC
Don’t Miss a CCC Recipe! Subscribe now to Coupon Clipping Cook and get an email each time we have a new post. CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE TO COUPON CLIPPING COOK.
Heart-Shaped Seasoned Tortilla Chips
- 8 corn tortillas each cut into heart shapes (various sizes)
- 1/2 cup canola oil amount may vary depending on the size of the skillet
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 8 pinches salt or salt to taste
- Heat a small to medium-size skillet on low to medium heat and add canola oil.
- Add a small scrap of tortilla in the oil. When the scrap starts to sizzle, the oil should be ready. Add a few of the tortilla chips at a time so not to overcrowd the pan. Carefully watch the oil; if it gets too hot, lower the heat.
- Once the bottom sides of the tortillas turn a golden color, using tongs, carefully turn them over.
- Once both sides of chips are a golden color, remove them from the pan on to a paper towel-lined large plate.
- Lightly sprinkle the chips with salt and chili powder. Continue the process in batches for the remaining chips.
- Serve by themselves, or with salsa or guacamole.
Valentine’s Day Recipes
More Valentine’s Day Recipes You May Like:
Mexican Food Inspired Recipes
Here are More Mexican Food Inspired Recipes You May Like: