Malted Milk Date Shake
It’s easy to make this iconic date shake in your very own kitchen.
A date shake is iconic in the Palm Springs California area.
Whenever I’m in the area or even just passing through I have to stop to get one.
It gets hot in the desert and a date shake really hits the spot.
There’s also an iconic place with date shakes on Pacific Coast Highway in Southern California overlooking the ocean called the “Shake Shack“.
It’s been there since the 1940’s and is now called “Ruby’s Shake Shack” and is also known as “Crystal Cove Shake Shack“.
In this date shake recipe, malted milk powder is added, so technically it could be called a “malt”.
The difference between a “shake” and a “malt” is that a malt has malted milk powder in it.
Malted milk powder adds a sweet rich taste to milkshakes…or to a “malt”.
I just love the flavor of malted milk and even add it in smoothies.
The good news is that this date shake is easy to make so it can be made in your very own kitchen.
There are only 4 ingredients…let’s check them out.
Dates (Medjool are good…I used Deglot Noor), milk, malted milk powder, and vanilla ice cream
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
A printable recipe with the measurements and instructions is located at the bottom of this post.
Cut the dates into medium size pieces.
Medjool dates are really good for shakes because they’re so sweet.
I used Deglet Noor dates because that’s what was available in the store…and they were great in this shake.
Add the dates in the blender.
add the malted milk powder.
Next add the milk.
I used fat free milk in this recipe.
If you’re using whole milk or cream, you may need to add a touch more if the shake is too thick.
add the ice cream,
…put the top on the blender.
Next, blend on the “milkshake” setting if you have one.
If not, try the “chop” or “smoothie” setting so that the mixture is thick but not liquefied.
Pour the milkshake into serving glasses…
…leaving about an inch of space from the top of the glass.
Then add a small scoop of ice cream on top of the shake in each glass for garnish…
…serve right away while cold.
Thank you for stopping by CCC!
Don’t miss a CCC recipe. Subscribe to Coupon Clipping Cook and get an email each time we have a new post. Here’s the link to subscribe to CCC.
Malted Milk Date Shake
- 2/3 cup dates, cut in pieces
- 2 teaspoons malted milk powder
- 1/4 cup milk
- 4 cups vanilla ice cream (for the milkshake)
- 3 small scoops vanilla ice cream (for garnish)
- Cut the dates into medium size pieces. Medjool dates are really good for shakes because they’re so sweet. Deglet Noor dates also work well.
- Add the dates, malted milk powder, milk, and 4 cups of ice cream to the blender.
- Next, put the top on the blender, and blend on the “milkshake” setting if you have one. If not, try the “chop” or “smoothie” setting so that the mixture is thick but not liquefied.
- Pour the milkshake into serving glasses leaving about an inch of space from the top of the glass.
- Then add a small scoop of ice cream on top of the shake in each glass for garnish.
- Serve right away while cold.
This recipe was originally posted on May 6, 2012.
Recipes Made with Malted Milk Powder
Here are more recipes with malted milk that you may like “Toasted Marshmallow Mini Malted Milkshakes” (one of my personal favorites), “Malted Milk Ball Shake Float” (made with malted milk ball candies and malted milk powder…double malted goodness), “Blackberry and Oatmeal Malted Smoothie” (so good).
Malted milk powder also comes in a chocolate flavor…here’s a recipe made with chocolate malted milk “Triple Chocolate Mocha and Banana Malted Smoothie“.
More Desserts Made with Vanilla Ice Cream You May Like: